Causality and Consequences
- Episode 0: When considering your characters back-story, please prepare the important moments of your Angelic existence, your Catalyst and the time immediately following. As well, some time spent in the West Coast, US in which you participated in an internet forum (the Dwayneshy Scriptography Club) for the free exchange of information (a Free Agency), your username in that Forum and two pieces of information you provided to another player’s character (helpful or harmful, personal or extra personal). Additionally but not necessary, a tell (as in poker) that the group might use to identify you with your Free Agency username.
- Each character will receive 3 private sessions with the Storyteller in order to flesh out their character, describe their circumstances, and accumulate Beats/Cover Beats. No extra Experiences will be given beyond what the Player accumulates in their own intro. This also gives both the character and the Storyteller a chance to work out the Demon’s Cypher.
- In the interest of uniqueness and everyone having a place, the following archetypes are provided for the group, as well as which character has chosen which archetype:
- The Quartermaster: Procures things for the Ring, both mundane items that will be useful and Pacts with Cover elements; the Ring’s Strategic Asset and Resource Management. Suggested priorities include Social attributes; Politics, Subterfuge, Intimidation and Persuasion abilities; Contacts, Allies, Resources and Fixer Merits. Interacts primarily with the Pact system and secondarily with the Cover system. Primary themes include Form versus Function and double lives. Chosen by Sharon.
- The Face: Provides the appropriate social capital (in the form of friendly individuals and groups) for the Ring to operate from, the Ring’s Social Asset and Resources Management. Suggested priorities cover Social and Mental Finesse attributes; Persuasion, Subterfuge, Empathy and Expression abilities; Status, Sympathetic, Pusher, Etiquette Style (from Blood and Smoke) and Barfly Merits. Primarily interacts with the Social Maneuvering system and the Espionage theme (Watcher and watched, code signals and the gathering and use of information) in a more genteel way. Ideally the Face works to soften up and get to know the mark, such that the Quartermaster can make them an offer they can’t refuse. Chosen by Stone.
- The Counter-Intelligence: Protects the Ring from observation and danger, Defensive and Security Management. Suggested priorities include Physical as well as Wits attributes; Computers, Investigation, Larceny and Intimidation/Empathy abilities with specialties in Deprogramming/Therapy/Interrogation; Fighting Styles, Trained Observer and Small Unit Tactics Merits. Primarily interacts with the Combat system and Espionage theme in a more direct way (assassination and the use of force in place of knowledge). Chosen by Nicci.
- The Techgnostic: Manages the Supernatural aspects of the Ring’s interactions, from knowledge to leverage; the Knowledge and Occult Asset Strategic Resource Management for the Ring. Mental and Social attributes as a priority; Academics, Investigation, Occult, Persuasion and Subterfuge abilities with appropriate specialties; Esoteric Armory, Good Time Management/Patient, Fast-Talking Style, Interdisciplinary Specialty Merits. The Techgnostic interacts primarily with its namesake theme, but also with the Ephemeral Beings subsystems. Chosen by Nochtal